Thursday, March 13, 2008

Summer reading program

During my elementary days, if I could remember it right, my mother will leave me and my brothers to the Naga Library and then fetch me an hour. This was during summer days when school is closed.

Today, as summer vacation is approaching. I designed a collaborative program that will promote and encourage reading among children which I guessed, will benefit the children and the mother’s out there who are busy in their house hold chores and their work.

This program aim to encourage the children to read, read, and read. There is no formal classes that will take place and the sessions will not be held in the classroom. Instead, it will be on under the trees, on a trip to Naga City Eco-Park or at the Naga Library.

The Program is BRIGADA BASA. It was conducted two years ago and will be relaunched on March 18, 2008 at the Raul S. Roco Library with Sonia Roco as guest-storyteller. The entire sessions will be in April and May in 5 selected elementary schools. This program is very simple and it were supported by Jollibee which will provide the snacks and entertainment to children throughout the sessions, Mom’s Radio Mommy Club and the Naga City Council Women will facilitate the training of reading tutors. While the tutors are the NSTP students of Datamex Institute of Computer Studies with the Naga Library and the Department of Education as coordinators to the respective schools.

I knew public librarians out there will choose inventory as the best things to do during summer, try doing a reading sessions. It will keep your library clients aware of our presence in the community.